Student Services


At NZALI we offer support to help you achieve your study and career goals.


During your course of study lecturers and tutors are available to ensure you are provided with the necessary academic support while you are studying.


NZALI work experience and placement programme

At NZALI, we are all about providing you with a relevant education that sets you up for your future.  In the current employment market it is important to combine a great qualification with work experience at a recognised company. The NZALI work experience and placement programme will connect our graduates with NZ employers. Our staff will support you through your course with C.V. workshops and recruitment seminars. During your course we will help you with finding work experience placements that may create job opportunities for you.



Students may be permitted to work part-time while they are studying, and full-time on completion of study. Students may need to apply, and pay a fee, to Immigration New Zealand for a ‘variation of conditions’ to their student visa/permit, to be eligible to work in New Zealand. Diploma students are normally entitled to work part-time.

Students with valid work permits can use Student Job Search services (an enrolment fee applies). Student Job Search helps students find summer vacation and temporary or part-time work. See  for further information. See also, and

On completion of your Diploma studies, you are able to apply for a Post-Study Work Visa, which will allow you to stay in New Zealand for a period of up to 12 months to find suitable employment. You may also apply for a work visa. Completion of a diploma may also entitle you to immigration points should you wish to consider migration to New Zealand. Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements, are available through Immigration New Zealand, and can be viewed on their website at




Student Support

At NZALI the Director of Studies, Nazli Effendi, acts as the student counsellor who provides support to all students, including attending to the pastoral care needs of international students. When you apply to study at NZALI you will receive a Student Information Pack which provides the contact details for the Director of Studies, who is available for you to contact in case of emergencies also (24 hours). If you have an emergency, your 24-hour contact is: The Director of Studies, Nazli Effendi. Mobile phone: 021 448 719.


There are several accommodation options available to students. NZALI can assist you to find accommodation to suit your requirements – contact the Director of Studies for advice. Please note that the accommodation options described below are arranged between the student and the accommodation provider; NZALI is not responsible for assessing or approving accommodation.

The following information gives a brief explanation of the different sorts of accommodation available to international students, and an indication of their costs. For more information you can also refer to


For students who would like to experience living with a local family, a homestay is a great way to improve your English and find out more about New Zealand. The cost is around NZ$240 per week, plus a one-time placement fee of around NZ$225. Students have their own bedroom, and are provided with breakfast and dinner during the week, and with breakfast, lunch and dinner at weekends.

All homestay families have been inspected and approved by our accommodation agents. All adult members of the homestay family are vetted by the NZ Police. Homestays are arranged by our accommodation agents, but for any homestay issues, or to arrange a homestay, please contact the Director of Studies.


For students who want more independence than a homestay, but are not willing to take on the responsibility of a flat, a hostel is a good option. You can either have a room of your own or share a room, and you will usually have access to cooking, cleaning and laundry facilities.

Flat or Apartment

‘Going flatting’ means you rent a house or apartment either on your own or with others. Flatting gives you more freedom, but requires a lot of maturity.

Private Board

You have your own room in the home of a local family. Board is paid to cover rent, expenses (phone and electricity) and sometimes food. You could expect to pay around NZ$190 – $210 per week as a boarder.

A general description of approximate weekly living costs in New Zealand is provided below.

All costs are in NZ$ Dollars.

Accommodation Type Cost per Week Food per Week Public Transport Other(Gas, Water, Electricity) Total approx. Spend per Week
Homestay* $240.00 $60.00 $50.00 0 $350.00
Hostel $190.00 $100.00 $30.00 $20.00 $340.00
Apartment* $240.00 $100.00 $30.00 $40.00 $410.00
Flat* $150.00 $100.00 $30.00 $30.00 $310.00
Hotel/motel $500.00 $200.00 $30.00 0 $730.00

* Note: Costs will be cheaper if you share a bedroom.

Updating personal information

On enrolment and throughout your study at NZALI, students are required to notify the Director of Studies of any change in their:

  • Contact details
  • Accommodation type
  • Residential address
  • Immigration status.



Immigration New Zealand Services – Student Visas

International students are required to have a valid student visa during their stay in New Zealand. Once you have received an Offer of Place from NZALI and you have paid your tuition fees, you should apply for a student visa from your nearest Immigration New Zealand office (contact your nearest New Zealand Embassy or High Commission for details).

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements, are available through Immigration New Zealand, and can be viewed on their website at

Where a prospective international student does not hold authority from Immigration New Zealand to study, or if NZALI is unable to determine whether a prospective international student holds the necessary authority, NZALI will either:

  • Obtain advice from Immigration New Zealand, or
  • Advise the international student to seek advice from
    • (i) Immigration New Zealand, or
    • (ii) an immigration adviser licensed under the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007, or
    • (iii) a person that is exempt from being licensed under the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007.

NZALI will ensure the prospective international student holds authority from Immigration New Zealand to study before allowing that person to undertake any course of study or training. A register of licensed immigration advisers is available from the Immigration Advisers Authority website at

Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students

New Zealand Academic and Learning Institute (NZALI) has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Copies of the Code are available from the NZQA website at

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Medical and Travel Insurance

International students (including group students) must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand.

A number of insurance plans are available that meet the minimum requirements for international students. The following insurance plans have been assessed and are compliant for studying in New Zealand.

Security of Course Fees

In accordance with New Zealand government regulations, all course fees received from international students are held in trust at the government-owned Public Trust. See




The legal age for drinking alcohol in New Zealand is 18 years. If you are under 18 you are not allowed to enter a bar or nightclub or purchase alcohol. NZALI does not enrol students who are under 18 years of age.

Even if you are over 18, you may be asked to show photographic identification before you enter a bar or club or when buying alcohol at retail outlets.

Smoking and tobacco in New Zealand

The sale of cigarettes and tobacco products to persons under 18 years of age is prohibited in New Zealand.

Smoking is not permitted in most public buildings, including cafes, restaurants and work places, or on public transport. For further information on the smoke-free law in New Zealand, see

Transport and Driving – What’s different about driving in New Zealand

There are a few things that you may not be used to when driving in New Zealand. For example:

  • we drive on the left side of the road
  • using a hand-held mobile phone while driving is illegal.

Make sure you have a safe and enjoyable journey and please be sure of the rules before starting out.


Always drive on the left side of the road. If you drive on the right side of the road in your own country, please remember to keep left when pulling out onto the road – it’s easy to forget where you are!


In general, if you’re turning, give way to all vehicles that are not turning.

Always use your indicator when turning.


In New Zealand you are not permitted to turn left at an intersection when the traffic signals are red.

If turning at traffic signals, give way to pedestrians crossing the road.


Drivers must not use a hand-held mobile phone when driving, unless the device is completely hands-free or mounted securely to the vehicle – and touched infrequently and briefly. Writing, reading or sending text messages on a mobile phone while driving is also illegal.


It’s easy to underestimate travelling times in New Zealand.

Distances may seem short on paper, but New Zealand roads may be narrower than you’re used to, cover hilly terrain and vary from motorways (freeways) to unsealed gravel roads.

If you’re tired you’re much more likely to have a crash. Here are some tips to help you stay alert.

  • Get plenty of rest before a long drive.
  • Take a break from driving every two hours.
  • If possible, share the driving with someone else.
  • Avoid large meals and drink plenty of fluid.
  • If you begin to feel sleepy, stop at a safe place and try to have a short sleep for up to 40 minutes.
  • If you’re feeling very tired, find a place to stay overnight.


Cyclists have the same rights as drivers on New Zealand roads. Always slow down near cyclists, pass slowly and only when safe, and try to leave a space of 1.5 metres. Indicate in plenty of time and respect cycle lanes.


Don’t drink or use drugs and then drive – the laws against this are strictly enforced in New Zealand and penalties are severe.


Speed limit signs show the maximum speed you can travel. At times you may need to drive at a slower speed due to road, weather or traffic conditions.

Different speed limits apply throughout New Zealand – look out for the speed limit signs.

On most of New Zealand’s main rural roads, the speed limit is 100km/h unless a sign says a lower speed applies. The speed limit is generally 100km/h on motorways.

On some rural roads the default rural speed limit of 100km/h may apply, but the road may not be suitable to travel at that speed. You may need to drive at a slower speed.

In urban areas, the speed limit is usually 50km/h unless a sign says otherwise.


By law, everyone in the vehicle must wear a safety belt or child restraint – whether they’re in the front or back.

Children under seven years of age must be secured in an approved child restraint. Children aged seven must be secured in an approved child restraint if such a restraint is available.


You must have your current and valid driver licence or driver permit with you at all times when you’re driving. If your overseas licence or driver permit is not in English, you must also carry an accurate English translation issued by:

An International Driving Permit (issued in accordance with a United Nations Convention on Road Traffic) is acceptable as a translation.

Provided your overseas driver licence or driver permit remains current and valid, you can drive for a maximum period of 12 months from the date you arrive in New Zealand. Each time you arrive in New Zealand you can drive for a further 12-month period.

After 12 months, if you wish to continue driving in New Zealand, you must obtain a New Zealand driver licence.

Once you have been issued a New Zealand driver licence, you can no longer use your overseas licence. This applies even if you have been in New Zealand less than 12 months.

It is important to note that if you are caught driving without an acceptable English translation or an IDP, you may be prosecuted for driving unlicensed or for driving without an appropriate licence. You will be liable for an infringement fee of NZ$400, or up to NZ$1,000 if you are convicted in court.

The Police also have the power to forbid an unlicensed driver to drive until they have an appropriate licence. If you continue to drive after being forbidden, the vehicle you are driving will be impounded for 28 days, at the vehicle owner’s expense. You may also risk not being covered by your insurance in the event of a crash.


Most roads in New Zealand have a single lane each way, and some provide passing lanes at regular intervals – these should be used where possible when overtaking. You must not cross a solid yellow line on your side of the centre line to pass a vehicle, as this indicates it’s too dangerous to overtake.


In New Zealand, you can be fined or towed away for parallel parking on the wrong side of the road. You may only park in the direction of traffic flow on your side of the road (ie on the left side) unless it is a one-way street.


Only half of New Zealand’s 1500 public rail crossings have automatic alarms. If red lights are flashing, stop and only proceed once the lights have stopped flashing.

Other crossings have railway crossing and give way or stop signs only. When you see a stop sign at a crossing, stop and only cross the track if there are no trains approaching. When you see a give way sign, slow down and be ready to stop and only cross the track if there are no trains approaching.


  • You must have a motorcycle licence to ride a motorbike, moped or motor scooter. See
  • Helmets for riders of cycles and motorbikes must be worn at all times.
  • Rear and front lights on cycles are required at night.
  • Motorbikes should drive with a headlight on at all times.
  • Cycling is not permitted on motorways.

If you’d like more information, please contact the NZ Transport Agency. You can also read New Zealand’s road code ( which covers all New Zealand’s traffic rules.

New Zealand Transport Agency Contact Details:

FREE PHONE NUMBERS   0800 108 809 (motor vehicle registration); 0800 822 422 (driver licensing)





NZALI conducts all its delivery on-site, in fully equipped and WiFi-enabled classrooms.


NZALI has materials available for staff and students to borrow. We can also advise you about using library facilities at other institutions, and the Public Library Service.

Please advise the Director of Studies if you have any recommendations for the library to purchase.

Common Room

The NZALI office premises have a common room where students can do independent study in a relaxed setting, as well as socialise. There are kitchen facilities available, an eating area, easy chairs, and study tables.

To support your learning, there are independent work places available at NZALI, as well as in the public library facilities. These will be pointed out to you during your orientation programme.


Computer resources

A wireless network environment is available to you on campus, including in the Students’ common room. This will enable you to have internet access when using your laptop computers.


Student guidance and support systems

NZALI has robust guidance and support systems in place to ensure students are supported throughout their studies. The Director of Studies acts as the support adviser to all students at NZALI.

Welfare facilities

Any welfare concerns, such as concerns around personal health, mental health, drugs, problem gambling, sexuality, and sexual and reproductive services, may be referred to the student counsellor/Director of Studies, Nazli Effendi, at any time. Your 24-hour contact is: Nazli Effendi. Mobile phone: 021 448 719.

Orientation: Every student is given all necessary information regarding ongoing student support, upon commencement of their course. All new students must attend the NZALI Orientation, which is usually held during the first week of your course. Orientation will include:

  • Formal welcome to NZALI;
  • Introduction to staff, including lecturers, tutors, managers and administrative staff;
  • Information about student services and facilities;
  • Course outline;
  • Student Information Pack, which contains important information for students;
  • Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students;
  • Counselling and support services for students;
  • Grievance procedures;
  • Emergency procedures;
  • Briefing and walk-about of the immediate area in which the institute is located, to help you find your way around.

Information Pack for Students: Every student is given a Student Information Pack on orientation day. The pack will include details about services offered, facilities, policies, and health & safety information, etc.

Career service: This service will provide advice and assistance regarding course-related job hunting, CV editing and employment. At NZALI, job information is displayed on the Job Search Board in the Common Room and is updated weekly. Workshops on job seeking will be conducted regularly.

Student notice board: The following information will be displayed on the notice board in the Students’ Common Room, and regularly reviewed to raise students’ awareness and respect for themselves, others and their environment:

  • Complaints procedures
  • Fire escape guide-map
  • Rules and regulations
  • Disciplinary procedures
  • List of internal support
  • List of external support.

Referring system: When a problem or a difficulty is identified, the student will be referred to the appropriate person or unit within or outside NZALI.

Planning Tool

Try this planning tool to help you get ready for living and studying in New Zealand: